Tuesday, July 14, 2009

1 Year Birthday - Sisterlocks



This has been one of the most difficult years of my life.  I have experienced 2 surgeries since I have had my locs.  I had an emergency appendectomy and ACL knee reconstruction.  Both times I felt like crap but my locs never let me down and they still looked good no matter how bad I felt.  :-)  

I finished one triathlon and one half marathon with my locs.  Not once did I ever worry about my hair and I can say that not once did I ever think I had a bad hair day.  I struggle with dry scalp but that is due to health issues and hydration.  I started oiling my hair more after about 9 months into the process.  I live by ACV rinses!  I am still experimenting with shampoos.  It's been hard for me to keep it simple because I am a product junkie in my heart but I am learning that keeping it simple is the best thing for my hair.

I am unique and my locs are unique.  No one in the world has locs like mine.  I embrace that with an admiration for being comfortable in my own skin no matter what anyone thinks.  I work in Corporate America and I walk into the office with my head high.  No one in the building has hair like mine and I love being different in a beautiful and empowering way.  

My loctician Elaine Hill is the best!  She's positive and very knowledgeable in natural hair care.  She doesn't feed you a lot of "bull caca" to take your money and she's honest in conveying what she can and can not do.  She's helped me embrace my locs at that "not so cute" phase because in her shop no one has "bad hair".  

 

2 comments:

z said...

Congrats!!! It's great to take the time and reflect on the past year and recognize your achievements. Btw, there is nothing like feeling free and not worrying about your locks while running a half-marathon. ;-) *Hi-5*

msfullroller said...

Congratulations! Your locs look fantastic!